Whatever type of Geek, Nerd, or Dork (or combination thereof) you may be, today is your day! Geek Pride Day is a day to throw off the shackles of scorn and celebrate your uber GeekDorkNerdiness!
May 25th was chosen as Geek Pride Day because it’s the date the first Star Wars film A New Hope premiered in 1977.
1st published in the Spanish paper El Mundo del Siglo Veintiuno in 2006, the Geek Manifesto outlines the basic rights and responsibilities of geeks.
- The right to be even geekier.
- The right to not leave your house.
- The right to not like football or any other sport.
- The right to associate with other nerds.
- The right to have few friends (or none at all).
- The right to have as many geeky friends as you want.
- The right to be out of style.
- The right to be overweight and near-sighted.
- The right to show off your geekiness.
- The right to take over the world.
- Be a geek, no matter what.
- Try to be nerdier than anyone else.
- If there is a discussion about something geeky, you must give your opinion.
- To save and protect all geeky material.
- Do everything you can to show off geeky stuff as a “museum of geekiness.”
- Don’t be a generalized geek. You must specialize in something.
- Attend every nerdy movie on opening night and buy every geeky book before anyone else.
- Wait in line on every opening night. If you can go in costume or at least with a related T-shirt, all the better.
- Don’t waste your time on anything not related to geekdom.
- Try to take over the world!